Television Really Does Inspire Violent Thoughts.

Have you ever wanted to climb into the television and strangle someone?

I don't usually watch television news - but I wanted to see the weather report this morning, so I turned on "WB2 Morning News." Before the weather, I was subjected to the tail end of a report on gas prices. The report included snippets of interviews with people filling up their tanks at a local gas station. Everything's pretty routine, people saying things like, "This is pretty bad" and "I wish it didn't cost so much" and suchlike...and then they talk to a woman who shares this nugget of brilliance:

"Someone needs to do something, because we shouldn't have to live like this."

This is not an exaggeration. This is not a joke. This is a direct quote. "Someone needs to do something, because we shouldn't have to live like this."

Yeah, lady, your life is really awful. It costs you a buck or two more than you'd like to fill the tank of your fucking minivan. You shouldn't have to live like that. I mean, there are millions of people dying of AIDS in Africa for no real reason, millions of people who don't know where their next meal is coming from, who don't have clean drinking water, people who spend eighteen hours a day assembling your Nikes for a few pennies and the privilege of not being beaten. But you're paying $2.79 for a gallon of gasoline, and you shouldn't have to live like that. To borrow a page from the book of Viva Las VegASS, you're a stupid, worthless cunt. My exposure to your existence has been nothing more than a few seconds of television, and I hate you more than I can say.

"We shouldn't have to live like that." Jesus. We produce people who say shit like that, and then we wonder why the rest of the world despises us.