Created by a Nerd!

One of the grocery stores we shop at regularly displays packages of Airborne alongside the Emergen-C and Burt's Bees lip balm in the checkout aisles. It always makes me roll my eyes when I see the slogan that appears on many of the packages: "Created by a school teacher!"

Uh, okay, great. Why is that a selling point? I mean, I can kind of see where they're going with it. Children are frequently sick, teachers are exposed to lots of germs...but how, precisely that qualifies a school teacher to create a cold remedy, I'm not sure. It's sort of like if someone were to sell a book called "How to Get Ahead in Business" and the selling point emblazoned on the front cover was, "Written by the guy who empties the trashcan in the boardroom at General Motors!" You can see how there's a vague connection, I mean, there's not many people in that boardroom more often than him, but does that make him someone who ought to be able to tell you how to get ahead in business?